Published on November 26th, 2018 | by admin


How to Calculate Percent Off for an Item that’s on Sale

Percent off calculations come in handy when there’s a product or service on sale, or when one has a percent off coupon and would like to know how much they’ll need to pay for the solutions or save for that matter.

Have you ever found yourself trying to figure out what the real cost of an item on sale is for a set percent off? If you answered yes, then you are not alone. Many people find it a bit challenging to tell the actual price of an item right off the bat when a percentage is involved – like 20%, 30% off and so on.

Simply put, percent is a rate, number, or amount in each hundred. A percent off, therefore, is the amount, rate or number deducted from the normal selling price of something. This might sound confusing at first, but the good thing is that once you master how to calculate percentages, it will be easier to figure out percent offs with a few simple operations.

Here is how to calculate percent off:

Percent off calculator

Using a percent off calculator is the easiest and most convenient way to calculate percent off. If you think about it, you always carry your phone with you – so you can get the exact value with a click of a button. All you need to do is key in the original price and percent off figures and hit the calculate button. Within a few seconds, you’ll have your final price. The calculator also allows you to determine the amount that you’ll save during a sale when the solution is X percent off.

Using percent off formula

To calculate final price and savings, you’ll need to be aware of the item’s original price as well as the percent off.

Then convert the percent off into a decimal by dividing it by 100.

For instance, if a pair of shoe is on sale for 25% off, you have 25/100=0.25

Then multiply the base price by the percent off – this will give you the savings or the percent off in dollars. If the original price of the shoe was $100, you have:

$100 x 0.25 = $25

Meaning you get to save $25 because you’ll pay $75 instead of $100

Going straight to the sale price

If you are interested in knowing the final price of an item after the percent off, you can skip calculating the percent off amount and directly go to determining what remains after you remove the percent off. For instance, a dress was originally priced at $80, but now it is on sale for 20% off. To calculate the remaining percent, you will minus the percent off from 100. What’s good is certain websites calculate the savings right there and show you just like apexmetalsigns.com does.

In our case, it will be:

100 – 20 = 80%. Once you subtract the 20% off, you’ll be paying 80% of the base price.

Next, you’ll convert this value to a decimal

80/100 = 0.8

Then multiply it by the original price

$80 x 0.8 = $64

So, if the dress is on sale for 20% off, you’ll pay the remaining 80% of the price, which is 64%.

About the Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑

Web Statistics